The impact wrench is the best tool for removing and tightening lug nuts. But the question is, what size impact wrench for lug nuts
Unquestionably, the size of the impact wrench will significantly impact how long it takes you to change a wheel and which one to choose.
The selection of the impact wrench is not just about a brand or quality but also about the features you want to have in an impact wrench.
You need to consider several things before buying an impact wrench such as What size impact wrench for lug nuts?
How many lug nuts sizes do I need? What tools are needed to remove lug nuts? How long can I expect to change a wheel with a standard impact wrench?
So Let’s Start!
What Is The Purpose Of Using An Impact Wrench?
It is used to tighten and loosen lug nuts and remove them from your vehicle. The most common reason for using an impact wrench is that the nuts are not accessible to a hand or a socket. The tool comes in two main types, a corded and a cordless one.
Corded impact wrenches usually have a longer reach but are less powerful and more expensive than their cordless counterparts. They are also more prone to damage and are more difficult to recharge.
Corded impact wrenches are usually heavy and large on larger vehicles, trucks, and commercial vehicles. The best-corded impact wrench for lug nuts will be able to reach and tighten the nuts on a truck, truck van, or lorry.
How To Choose The Right Size Impact Wrench For Lug Nuts?
The most common lug nut size is a 3.5-inch socket with a 6 mm hexagon nut. If your vehicle is newer, you should use the correct size of the impact wrench. The correct size will fit snugly and give a secure hold.
If your impact wrench is too big or too small, it will not grip properly. The correct size will also help you to remove the lug nuts correctly. The impact wrench should be placed on the nut and pulled away from the vehicle.
It would help if you never tightened the impact wrench while the vehicle is still attached to the wheel. The best impact wrench for lug nuts can reach all sizes of lug nuts that you need to loosen or tighten. If your impact wrench is difficult to get on the lug nut, it might not be the ideal option.
What Size Impact Wrench For Lug Nuts?
The number of bolts attached normally designates lug nut sizes. There are three common lug nut sizes; 14mm, 16mm, and 18mm.
The difference in the sizes is in the diameter of the bolt. This can find in millimeters (mm) or inches (in).
14mm lug nuts are the smallest ones. They are the most commonly used on smaller vehicles and motorcycles.
16mm lug nuts are the next in size. They are used on a wide range of vehicles and are the most common.
18mm lug nuts are the largest ones used on larger vehicles, trucks, vans, and lorries.
How To Tighten Lug Nuts With An Impact Wrench?
The following is a procedure to tighten lug nuts:
1. Remove the lug nuts using the correct sized impact wrench.
2. Place the impact wrench on the nut and pull away from the vehicle. It would help if you tightened the impact wrench slowly and evenly.
3. Use your fingers to hold the nut while tightening it with the impact wrench.
4. If the impact wrench slips off the nut, reattach the wrench and tighten it again.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 until the lug nut has been tightened to the required torque.
How To Loosen Lug Nuts With An Impact Wrench?
The following is a procedure to loosen lug nuts:
1. Using the correct sized impact wrench, remove the lug nuts as you did when tightening them.
2. Once the lug nut has been removed from the wheel, use your fingers to hold the nut.
3. The impact wrench will need to be pulled away from the vehicle to loosen the lug nut. It’ll be easier if you don’t move the wrench forward or backward.
4. Once the lug nut is loosened, re-attach it with the impact wrench.
5. Continue to do steps 3-4 until all lug nuts are loosened to the required torque.
How Long Does It Take To Remove Lug Nuts?
It takes only about 15 minutes to remove a lug nut on a car – but it may vary based on the brand and model of your vehicle. Generally, it takes 3-5 minutes if the tool is stored correctly and can be further reduced this time by practicing beforehand. You may also use a socket wrench to cut down on the time it takes.
Benefits Of Using Impact Wrench:
The following are some benefits of using an impact wrench:
1. An impact wrench will allow you to loosen and tighten lug nuts quickly without damage. It is not the best choice if your lug nut can’t be tightened or loosened with the impact wrench.
2. An impact wrench will allow you to loosen and tighten lug nuts quickly. It will also allow you to do this on all sizes of lug nuts.
3. An impact wrench will not damage the lug nuts used. This is because an impact wrench can use on the lug nuts without removing them from the wheel.
4. An impact wrench is easier to use than other types of wrenches.
5. They are usually cheaper than using a socket and spanner combination.
6. Impact wrenches are portable and can be used in any location.
7. The torque produced by an impact wrench is always accurate.
8. An impact wrench can also tighten lug nuts that are not in use.
9. They can use with other tools such as ratchets or impact sockets.
10. They are much safer to use than a hammer.
11. The torque provided by an impact wrench is adjustable.
12. Impact wrenches can reach lug nuts that a standard spanner could not.
How To Maintain An Impact Wrench?
The following is a procedure to maintain an impact wrench:
Do not leave the impact wrench on the vehicle when you have finished using it. This is because the impact wrench can overheat and it can cause damage to your vehicle.
Do not use a metal surface (e.g., an exhaust pipe) or a hard surface (e.g., a stone wall) as a base for an impact wrench. These surfaces may make the impact wrench slip off the nut.
You should not wash an impact wrench in water as this may result in corrosion.
If your impact wrench does not have a light, you should purchase one.
It is good to ensure that the impact wrench is stored in a dry place and protected from the elements.
It is good to remove the impact wrench from the vehicle and check it regularly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Impact Wrenches Need Special Sockets?
No, an impact wrench doesn’t need any special sockets. Any standard wrench can use for it, but it will take longer to complete a task with the wrench. But the advantage is that the impact wrench can tighten fasteners much faster than a regular wrench, so you’ll get more done.
With An Impact Wrench, What Size Air Compressor do I Need?
You need to match the compressor with the application, so you need to use an air compressor of a specific size and capacity for a particular task. If you don’t have access to a professional installer, you should consult with a local HVAC technician to determine the exact size you need.
How Much Torque Should I Apply on My Car Wheel Lug Nuts?
To correctly tighten the lug nuts on your automobile wheels, tighten them until they begin to spin. The exact torque you should use for different lug nut sizes varies, but an estimate can make based on the size of your wheel hub and the size of your lug nuts.
. For a 4mm wheel hub with 6x.14×2.5mm lug nuts, we recommend using 50-60 ft-lbs of torque.
. For a 5mm wheel hub with 7x.16×3.5mm lug nuts, we recommend using 60-80 ft-lbs of torque.
This number will help ensure that the lug nuts don’t loosen up and will prevent any damage to your car or other vehicles on the road.
There are different types of impact wrenches available on the market, but you need to be careful when choosing the right one for the job. Different brands offer different features and accessories, so you need to choose one that meets your needs.
I like to use an impact wrench set to “torque.” Follow a thorough maintenance program to ensure that your impact wrench lasts as long as possible.
Do you have any recommendations for impact wrenches? We’d love to hear them in the comments below!