Impact wrenches are extremely important because they can save a lot of time and aggravation in performing technical tasks. However, before we go in detail how to make impact wrench more powerful, let’s first learn about impact wrenches.
An impact wrench is used for tightening bolts, nuts, and other fasteners. Impact wrenches come in various sizes and are usually powered by electricity or hydraulics.
This article taught us what an impact wrench is and what it can do for you and also learned about some tactics to make impact wrenches more powerful. After reading this article, we hope that you will get an idea of what impact wrenches are and what they can do for you.
Why are Impact Wrenches Needed?
Undeniably, impact wrenches are among the most important tools for auto mechanics and anyone who works on vehicles. Impact wrenches can loosen or tighten nuts and bolts too hard for a regular wrench to handle.
Also, impact wrenches are needed when there is not enough room to use a regular wrench. Impact wrenches can tighten or loosen nuts and bolts that are just 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch in diameter. Impact wrenches are used for both stationary and moving applications.
For example, if you need to tighten a nut on your car’s steering column, you would use the impact wrench mounted on your workbench. Impact wrenches are very important tools to have. There are two different types of impact wrenches: hydraulic and electric.
If you are working with a hydraulic impact wrench, you will need to buy an air tank, air compressor, and hose. You will also need to buy a socket set to use an impact wrench. These three items are the most important parts of an impact wrench.
How To Use an Impact Wrench?
The following is a procedure to use an impact wrench:
First of all, you need to prepare the work area. Before you start using an impact wrench, you need to ensure enough space for you to work on.
Make sure the work surface is clean and dry before you begin. Then, you will need to make sure that you have a good grip on the wrench. This is very important because the wrench will be spinning at high speeds.
1. Select your impact wrench – There are many different impact wrenches available in the market. When purchasing an impact wrench, make sure that it is powerful enough to handle the nuts and bolts that you need to work with.
2. You should use the impact wrench for stationary and moving applications – When utilizing an impact wrench, the first step is to choose the appropriate socket. You can get the correct socket for your job from the socket set you bought.
Wherever possible, try to use a socket with a hexagonally-shaped head. This type of socket is called a “hex head” socket. Using a hex head socket will give you a much better chance of getting an accurate fit when tightening or loosening nuts and bolts.
If you do not have a socket with a hexagonally-shaped head, you should use a. You should also make sure that you are holding the wrench with your hands. The chuck should be facing down.
Next, you will need to insert the socket into the chuck. Then, turn the wrench slowly and carefully. It would be best to turn it slowly as there is a lot of torque on the end of the wrench.
Always turn the wrench counter-clockwise. When you turn the wrench slowly, you will see a click sound. This means that the wrench has been locked into place.
This will ensure that the wrench won’t move. After you have locked the wrench in place, continue turning it until the wrench makes a grinding noise.
How to Maintain an Impact Wrench?
When you first buy an impact wrench, it is important to maintain it properly. You will need to regularly check and clean the impact wrench and the air tank.
The following is the procedure of maintaining an impact wrench that helps in making impact wrench more powerful:
1. Clean the Impact Wrench – You should clean the impact wrench at least once a month. A good way to clean an impact wrench is to take it outside and wash it with soap and water.
2. Oil the Impact Wrench – A lubricant is required when using an impact wrench. This lubricant will reduce friction between the socket and the nut or bolt you are working with. Ensure that the socket has been cleaned with a dry cloth before you start using it.
3. Check the Air Tank and Air Compressor – When you are using an impact wrench, you will need an air tank and air compressor. Before using these things, make sure they are in good working order. If they are in poor condition, you should get assistance from your technician.
4. If you are Using an Impact Wrench with a Ratchet Handle – You should clean the teeth of the ratchet every six months. The teeth of the ratchet will wear out over time. If you do not clean the teeth, they will eventually get stuck in the nut or bolt threads.
5. Check and Clean the Socket – You should check and clean the socket at least once a month. A good way to clean the socket is to take a damp cloth and wipe it around the socket. Ensure that the socket is clean before putting it back into the impact wrench.
6. Replace the Air Filter – If you are using an air tank with an air filter, you should replace the air filter every month.
How To Make Impact Wrench More Powerful?
You can do several things to make your impact wrench more powerful.
1. The first thing you may do is replace the non-ratcheting handle with a ratcheting one this may also assist in making your impact wrench more powerful.
2. The second option is to use a magnet to attach to the end of the impact wrench’s handle.
3. The third point is to use a battery-powered “bleeder” air compressor instead of a gas-powered air compressor. A “bleeder” air compressor will continuously bleed off the air until the tank is full, and then it will stop.
4. This will ensure that you will not run out of air while using the impact wrench. Surprisingly, many mechanics run out of air while using an impact wrench because they do not stop tightening fasteners soon enough.
5. The fourth thing you can do is attach an electric motor to the end of your impact wrench. You can get electric motors for less than $. Electric motors will help you tighten more fasteners in less time.
6. The fifth thing you can do to make your impact wrench more powerful is to have a helper hold down the nut or bolt you are trying to loosen. When you hit the nut or bolt with the end of your impact wrench, you’ll have extra leverage.
7. The sixth thing you can do is replace your socket head with a ratcheting socket head. Indeed, if you use a ratcheting handle, you will need a socket head with a ratcheting mechanism.
8. The seventh thing that you can do is remove the dust cap from the end of your impact wrench and then use a rag to wipe off the dust that collects on the wrench’s head. This will allow you to see the nuts and bolts you’re trying to remove while also keeping dust out of your eyes. Without a doubt, this will increase your productivity.
Benefits of Using an Impact Wrench
The following are some benefits of using an impact wrench:
How To Make Impact Wrench More Powerful Final Thoughts
The biggest benefit of using an impact wrench over a hammer is speed. Impact wrenches are a snap to use. Many people who own them don’t even know how to work them. However, an impact wrench can quickly become a dangerous tool without proper training.
That’s why it’s important to understand using an impact wrench properly. Working with impact wrenches can be very rewarding, but someone should do it with experience. Maintaining your impact wrench will help ensure it continues to do the job for many years to come.
What type of maintenance does your impact wrench require? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why Cordless Impact Wrench Used For?
Cordless impact wrenches are best used for driving things like screws, nails, and machine screws. These wrenches also have a larger capacity than their corded counterparts, so they are great for any home improvement project where you need to drive multiple items. In general, these wrenches last about ten times longer than their corded counterparts and hence can be an excellent investment.
What to Consider for Buying the Best Impact Wrench?
The right impact wrench can be a big help in any project, whether it’s working on your car engine or your toolbox. While choosing one, you want to consider a few things such as the power, durability, ease of use, and how well-built it is. An impact wrench with a higher power rating will have greater torque and breakthrough harder metals. Similarly, one with a higher life span can take more hits before failure.
For a Cordless Impact Wrench, What Voltage Should I Choose?
The most important thing to consider when choosing a voltage for a cordless impact wrench is the one that gives you the highest amperage capacity. Impact wrenches are very power-hungry devices that require more current to function properly. Therefore, you should always go with the highest amperage capacity your electrical system can handle.
For example, a 14.4V 1-horsepower impact wrench needs 744 milliamps to operate, while a 24V 1-horsepower impact wrench needs 1555 milliamps.
A 36V 1-horsepower impact wrench needs 2303 milliamps, and a 48V 1-horsepower impact wrench needs 3102 milliamps. Hence, if your home’s electrical system can handle it, go with the higher voltage. If not, stick with the lowest one that you can use safely.