How to fix a torque wrench is an interesting question for DIYers who want to do things independently without hiring a professional. The first step to fixing a torque wrench is knowing what it is and identifying one that’s broken or needs repair.
A torque wrench is just a device that measures the torque being applied to a bolt or nut and displays it on the dial of the tool. If the torque is too high, it will overheat, causing the tool to become damaged or break.
If the torque is too low, the device will not work properly. Torque wrenches come in many different sizes and are commonly found in mechanic shops.
There are many ways to fix a torque wrench, and this article provides you with different ways to fix a torque wrench.
Read Also: What Is A Friction Ring On An Impact Wrench?
How To Use A Torque Wrench?
The following are some steps for using a torque wrench:
1. Attach the socket to the nut or bolt.
2. Read the instruction on the wrench.
3. Set the dial to zero and crank the adjustment screw clockwise until the maximum torque value is shown on the dial.
4. The maximum torque value will display. If the torque value is too low, turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise until the dial shows
5. Disconnect the wrench from the bolt or nut.
6. Repeat steps three and When the torque value reaches the original setting, reconnect the wrench to the bolt or nut.
7. Certainly, you can use a torque wrench while the bolt or nut is still connected to the machine. But after you have loosened the bolt or nut, you should immediately disconnect the wrench before re-tightening the bolt or nut to avoid damage to the machine or your wrench.
How To Fix A Torque Wrench?
How to fix a torque wrench is not much difficult task. The following are some ways to fix a torque wrench:
1. Replace the gear with a new one.
2. Clean the gear using a cloth to remove the grease.
3. Use new gear to replace the damaged one.
4. Adjust the temperature of the gear by lubricating it or cleaning it.
5. Use a different type of gear.
6. Adjust the calibration or make sure the wrench is calibrated correctly.
7. Check the adjustment mechanism to ensure that it is working properly.
8. If the adjustment does not work as expected, there is probably something wrong with the wrench or the setup.
9. In rare circumstances, check to ensure the gear is adjusted to the correct position to tighten the bolt.
10. You should also double-check the accuracy of your measurements.
11. If you have not calibrated the wrench, you can use a torque wrench calibrator or a torque wrench calibration kit.
Reasons of Damaging Torque Wrench
The following are some reasons for damaging torque wrench:
1. If the torque wrench overheats, you must remove it from the bolt or nut before turning it back on. If you leave the torque wrench on the bolt or nut, the heat will continue to build up inside the gear and eventually destroy it.
2. Another reason for damaging a torque wrench is that you can damage the wrench when trying to tighten a bolt if you over tighten the bolt. When a bolt becomes too tight, you can damage the threads on the end of the bolt and can cause the thread to break off.
3. The last reason a torque wrench could damage is if you use a torque wrench with a high torque value that is not calibrated correctly. Some manufacturers will not tell you what the high torque value is. You must use a torque wrench with the lowest torque setting to not damage the machine.
How To Fix A Torque Wrench Without Tools?
Naturally, you can fix a torque wrench without the use of tools. However, it may take some time to do so.
1. Turn the bolt or nut by hand until it is loose enough for you to remove it.
2. Pull the loose bolt or nut out of the machine and store it somewhere safe until you need it again.
3. Take the gear out of the machine and replace it with a new one.
4. Attach the gear to the machine.
5. Tighten the bolt or nut by hand.
6. Remove the bolt or nut after the torque value has reached the original setting.
7. Replace the gear into the machine.
8. To achieve the desired torque value, continue to tighten the bolt or nut as many times as necessary.
How Can You Avoid Torque Wrench Replacement?
The first way to avoid torque wrench replacement is by building panels that require less force. Many people use curved panels for greater ease in installation, making them easier to install. However, these panels are also less efficient. So, the best way to install panels would be to pick ones with a straight shape.
The second way to avoid torque wrench replacement is by using the right tools for the job. Torque wrenches are handy for measuring the torque needed for tightening screws, but they’re not very good at measuring the force needed for panel installation.
As a result, looking for an alternative tool, such as a torque screwdriver, might be beneficial.
How To Maintain A Torque Wrench?
1. First of all, try to loosen the bolt or nut using your hands, then use a tool to tighten the bolt or nut again.
2. If you need a better result, use a torque wrench with a proper size or a torque wrench calibration kit.
3. Always read the instruction on the torque wrench before using it.
4. Always make sure that the torque wrench is calibrated.
5. You should always follow the torque wrench adjustment instructions when using a torque wrench.
6. When you tighten or loosen a bolt or nut, you must check that the bolt or nut is loose enough so that the bolt or nut can move freely.
7. Use a torque wrench with the lowest torque setting.
8. Do not over-tighten the bolt or nut. You can use a torque wrench calibration kit if you need a better result.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Kind of Torque Wrench Should You Use?
Torque wrenches come in many different sizes, and their use is determined by the size of the fastener you’re tightening. If you want to tighten screws, nuts, bolts, or other types of fasteners, then you’ll need a torque wrench. But if you want to remove a fastener, you will need an impact wrench.
2. What Can Cause A Torque Wrench To Overheat?
Torque wrenches usually have a built-in temperature sensor to detect the heat and shut down when the temperature rises too high. But it’s also possible that the metal handle of the wrench may become hot due to friction between the tool and your hand. If this occurs, disconnect the tool from the socket, remove the handle, and store it in a secure location.
3. How to Repair Torque Wrench Like Pro?
Torque wrenches can be a pain to repair when they malfunction. If you’re an experienced mechanic or a DIY’er, then you can try disassembling it and fixing it yourself. But if you don’t have the proper tools, or are not comfortable working with torque wrenches, then get professional help to repair them properly. The experts can do the job much better, and safely too.
Torque wrenches are important tools for mechanics, and it’s important to keep them in excellent working condition and prevent from damage. It’s important to remember that torque wrenches aren’t cheap.
For numerous reasons, such as losing it, misusing it, or replacing it with a new one, you may need to fix a damaged torque wrench.
Always read the instructions before using them to avoid problems with your tools. Be mindful of the torque values and know-how to maintain a torque wrench properly.
Are there any other ways that you are damaged your tools? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.